WHAT IS IMMIGRATION FRAUD?
- Immigration Fraud is the art of deliberately defrauding a person with the intention of stealing their money. It is committed often by unscrupulous individuals who take advantage of other’s needs with no regards for the consequences of their actions.
HOW DOES IT AFFECT US ON INMIGRATION ISSUES?
- Frequently, immigrants fall prey to scam artists that promise them an easy path to legalization only to cheat them out of their hard earned money and sometimes put them at risk of Deportation.
- Example: If someone applies for an immigration benefit they don’t qualify for, as it frequently happens with many asylum cases, the ending result too often is DEPORTATION PROCEEDINGS
HOW TO AVOID BECOMING A VICTIM OF IMMIGRATION FRAUD
- Always, when seeking legal assistance, visit trustworthy places and preferably accredited by the Board of Immigration Appeals.
- Try to get more than one opinion before making your final decision.
- Never believe whoever promises you an immigration benefit because they have a “special connection inside the immigration department”
- Do not pay for the immigration Forms.
- Ask to be given a contract (in English and in your native language) to better understand the services you have been promised.
- Ask to be given a copy of the application submitted to immigration.
- Demand to be given back all of your ORIGINAL documentation.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE A VICTIM OF IMMIGRATION FRAUD
- Report it to the following agencies:
- LA County Department of Consumer Affairs - (213) 974-1452 - 500 W. Temple, Room B-96, Los Angeles, CA 90012
- California Department of Justice Office of Immigrant Assistance - 1-888-587-0557
It is important that you know: Reporting the Fraud WILL NOT affect your immigration application.
PLEASE, help us stop the unauthorized practice of immigration law by standing up to these scammers and REPORT THEM. REMEMBER: NOT ALL IS LOST. If you believe you have been a victim of immigration fraud, DO NOT LOSE HOPE. Every case is different and it is crucial that you seek legal assistance and consult with an expert. There might be an Immigration solution for you.