Wise Up!’s Summer Program is a seven-week non-paid Internship where high school students with a strong desire to get involved in their community will have the opportunity to learn about organizing and advocating for immigrant rights. In addition to personal and professional development, by the end of the program, interns will have a grasp on organizing basics, event planning, and benefit from peer-to-peer college counseling. Students will also take part in CHIRLA and Wise Up!’s general activities and actions. After the summer program ends, Wise Up! leaders are expected to use the organizing and leadership skills that they gained to become Wise Up! Representatives at their high schools.
The Summer Leadership program will take place from June 22 to August 5, 2021, 𝗩𝗜𝗔 𝗭𝗢𝗢𝗠. Last day to apply: June 5, 2021, at 11:59 pm.
Summer Program Schedule: June 22nd -August 5th, 2021
- Tuesdays: 12pm -1:30pm
- Wednesdays: 12pm -1:30pm
- Thursdays: 12pm – 1:30pm
- Note: All sessions will take place virtually through zoom
- Must be a high school student grades 9th-11th.
- Must demonstrate an interest in participating and/or becoming active on immigrant rights issues and/or other progressive social justice causes (in school or local community).
- Student must commit to the full program calendar.
- Must attend student and parent orientation on June 15th at 6 pm via Zoom.
SUMMER PROGRAM ACTIVITIES
- Interns will receive professional development workshops such as public speaking, and writing a Resume.
- Interns will participate in Organizing 101 workshops to learn and comprehend who is an organizer as well as practice using their organizing skills.
- Interns will be required to complete a total of 20 hours of involvement with CHIRLA in other activities besides the weekly internship meetings.
- Interns will write/review college application essays/prompts; receive other college-bound workshops.