CHIRLA’s four-person strategic communications team helps fulfill the organization’s mission by working with all departments to:
- Redraft the narrative around immigrants
- Publicize events, protests, policy positions, and advocacy wins
- Enlist social media to reach new audiences for protest and action, and explore new platforms as they emerge
- Explore new avenues -- from film to poetry to graphic design -- to tell the story of immigrants
- Find ways to feature the voices of CHIRLA leaders -- from administration to members -- in the daily national political and media debate through written opinion pieces and guest appearances in news/talk shows
The strategic communications team works with all CHIRLA departments to more effectively convey ideas, illustrate policy concepts and attract new audiences. The team produces the full spectrum of media tools to get out CHIRLA’s message: press statements, newsletters, photos, videos, audio interviews, online tool kits, graphic identities, landing pages and websites.
Ongoing relationships with national, regional and local journalists, personalities and influencers add scope to our earned and paid media publicity efforts. We also work with organizers to train our group members and volunteers to speak with reporters; this is part of our program to build leadership within our community, so immigrants find the confidence to speak for themselves and advocate their interests before the cameras or in front of elected officials.
Browse the archive of CHIRLA statements on news events.
CHIRLA can make available nationally-recognized experts, including directors and community leaders, ready to comment on any issues that directly affect the Latino and immigrant communities
For press and media inquiries regarding CHIRLA’s position on an issue, or to book a CHIRLA leader for an appearance on your program please contact Jorge-Mario Cabrera, Director of Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (562) 243-5559.
SPECIAL NOTICE DURING COVID-19: Most of CHIRLA staff is working remotely amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Unless absolutely necessary, interviews will be conducted via phone, Zoom, Skype, or other mobile/virtual method to ensure the health and well being of our members and staff.